It seems that in a matter of months, the new coronavirus (COVID-19) has moved to center stage in our global news. Health professionals are working to contain the growing epidemic, but we should do our part as well.
Informing yourself and learning what steps to take to prevent the virus from spreading will keep you and your family safe, healthy, and fit.
An Overview of the Coronavirus
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that target your lungs. They cause mild cold-like symptoms to more severe respiratory problems. The currently circulating COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus.
COVID-19 spreads between people through droplets released when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Symptoms range from mild to severe and include:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain or pressure in the chest
- A general feeling of unwellness
Severe cases of COVID-19 can lead to the following complications:
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), a serious type of pneumonia
- Kidney failure
What Are the Best Ways to Prevent Coronavirus Infection?
To stay healthy, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend you to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use antibacterial gel (hand sanitizer) containing at least 60% alcohol, if you do not have access to soap and water.
- Do not touch your face if you have not washed your hands.
- Avoid close contact with folks that are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cough or sneeze into the inside of your elbow or use a tissue. Dispose of the used tissue in the trash.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick or caring for someone who is ill.
- Thoroughly clean frequently touched surfaces.
Recommendations for Cleaning Home Gym Equipment
During an epidemic, it’s important to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces on a daily basis. This means removing dirt and using chemicals to kill germs on:
- Doorknobs and handles
- Light switches
- Remote controls
- Sinks and faucets
- Countertops, tables, and desks
To ensure a healthy home, you should also clean your gym equipment after each use.
Ordinary household cleaning products and disinfectants are effective ways to kill viruses and bacteria. However, you should avoid using harsh chemicals such as bleach or peroxide when cleaning your home fitness equipment like dumbbells or treadmills.
After each workout, use specialized gym cleaning tools if you have them or a simple alcohol, antibacterial, or disinfectant wipe to prevent viral and bacterial contamination of your equipment. If you have not used your equipment in some time or are taking a fitness break, it’s still best practice to clean your fitness equipment once every two weeks. Per usual, be sure to wash your hands with soap and water after each workout session.
Staying safe, healthy, and fit in the age of coronavirus is not difficult. Be sure to maintain good hygiene and cleaning habits, as outlined by the CDC. Clean all frequently touched surfaces, including gym equipment, to ensure a healthy home for you and your family.
G&G Fitness specializes in treadmills, ellipticals, rowers, and all-in-one home gyms. We’re dedicated to providing the best fitness advice and equipment for all of your home gym needs. Contact us to learn more, or browse through our selection of home gym equipment to get started today.